The Q&A Archives: Goldenchain Tree from Seed

Question: We have a Gold Chain Tree in the yard. Every year it produces seed pods. I decided to collect some of the pods this year and try to germinate the seeds. I have looked on the web, but have not found any help on how to prepare the seeds and when to plant them. Your help will be most appreciated.

Answer: Laburnum, or goldenchain tree, will produce a lot of seeds so you'll have plenty of opportunities to start new trees from seeds. The seeds are tricky to germinate because they need scarification and soaking before sowing. Start by nicking the seed coat slightly, then soak the seeds in tepid water for 24 hours. These treatments will help soften the seed coat. You can start the seeds indoors or wait until spring and sow them outdoors. The seeds will take 30-60 days to germinate when planted 1/16" deep and kept at 65F - 70F degrees.

Good luck with your seed sowing venture!