The Q&A Archives: Hyacinth and Iris

Question: I planted in my garden Hyacinths and Hair Allium about 3 weeks ago,
and Irises about 6 weeks ago.
They allready started growing - I can see them like 2 -3 inches high from a soil level
Will they survive a winter and bloom in Spring 2006 ?
Should I cover them using mulch or do not do anything ?
Thank you for answering my question.
Janusz Sieron

Answer: Plants are amazing and can withstand all kinds of crazy weather, so relax. The iris should be fine just as they are; next spring simply remove any foliage that has browned and leave anything that looks healthy alone. (The main danger to iris over winter is that they need perfect drainage so that moisture does not puddle around them or their rhizomes may rot.) Some of the bulbs may put up some foliage and it too should be fine (albeit maybe a bit tattered) through the winter. Grape hyacinths in particular always sprout some leaves in the fall, this is normal. Bulbs are resiliant plants; crocus, believe it or not, can sometimes even be seen blooming in the snow! There's nothing you need to do at this point - just allow your bulbs and rhizomes alone and they should be fine. Best wishes with your garden.