The Q&A Archives: possible problems

Question: i have used the thundercloud plum through the years and never noticed any problems(as i have with the the newport). is there a problem with cankers with this cultivar. or anything else dangerous? a landscape designer moved here from new jersey and tried to sway me away from using it on a house i'm landcaping but i want to...dave

Answer: In my experience they are equally susceptible to problems with both insects and diseases and would be considered relatively short lived trees as a result. Certainly the better sited and care for, the better their chances. Your local county extension can give you the most accurate information as to what to expect locally in terms of the incidence of specific issues with one or the other.