The Q&A Archives: Fall fertilizing

Question: I like to put some cow manure around the plants at the end of Fall so it has all winter to get into the soil and be ready for spring. The manure is a composted manure. I then add Milorganite in the early spring and Summer. This seems to work really well. I wondered what you think as I am a beginning gardener.
Thank you,

Answer: The process you describe is a great way to provide nutrients to your plants. Aged manure will decompose over the winter months and rain will leach the nutrients into the soil where they will be available for roots when the growing season begins. Since your fertilizing routine brings good results, I wouldn't change a thing. Continue and you'll have terrific soil and very happy plants. Enjoy!