The Q&A Archives: Bearss Seedless Lime

Question: My Seedless Lime tree has been doing great for the past 5 months. I have two good size limes on it but in the past 1 1/2 months most of the leaves having falling off of it. Does it go dormant? I have brought it indoors since the nights have gotten a little chilly. Thank you.

Answer: If your tree was doing fine outdoors but began losing leaves after you moved it indoors, it is probably a reaction to the change in light levels, temperature and humidity. Once your tree adjusts to its new surroundings it should develop healthy new foliage. If the tree was losing leaves before you brought it indoors, I'd suspect a problem with moisture or over-fertilizing. Citrus trees like moist but not soggy wet soil. Containerized trees can suffer from burn if too much fertilizer is applied. The best approach for containerized trees is to use a half-strength dilution of liquid fertilizer and apply every 2-3 weeks. This will provide the necessary nutrients without the fear of burning the roots.

Hope this information helps you determine just why your lime tree is losing leaves.