The Q&A Archives: growing Wisteria Evergreen from seed

Question: I have a Wisteria Evergreen with seed pods and I want to know how best to save the seeds and plant them in the spring?

Answer: You can store the seeds in an airtight container in a cool, dark place over the winter months. Ripe wisteria seeds will germinate without any special pretreatment; collect them when the pods begin to crack open. Shell them and plant next spring. If they seem very dry and hard, soak them in water for about 24 hours before planting. Having said that, you might not want to bother with them -- wisteria grows in a juvenile stage for up to 15 years or so before it blooms, and seedling vines will most likely not have blooms as attractive as those on the parent vine. For these reasons most wisteria vines are propagated by cutting, layering or grafting rather than by seeds.