The Q&A Archives: How poison is the sago palm to human who was stuck by thorn?

Question: My husband got stuck by a sago palm and we have been to ER 2x's.His pain is a 10 givin on scale 1-10.It is swollen, numb, cold,and sharp pain.The pain med.Vicodin 500 mg barely touching pain. Please can you give us any info on this poisonous plant? Thank you, Lisa H

Answer: Lisa,

We at the Q&A service are set up to handle questions by gardeners regarding Monrovia?s plants, caring for plants, and other gardening information. I am not an authority on the toxicity of cycads (sago palms). I see in the literature some references to them being toxic to some degree when ingested and did find referece to an individual who indicated that the leaves left red irritations on their arms when handling (like some people react to certain Christmas tree needles. This seems to be a somewhat individual specific response. Your husband must have a very unique sensitivity to this plant and I suggest you consult your physician or an allegy specialist.

Sorry we could not be of more help on this questions. Thanks for the question. Please stop in again soon!