The Q&A Archives: What is this white, linty stuff all over my ponytail palm?

Question: I have a ponytail palm that is covered in this sticky, white lint substance. Its not spider webs, or if it is, it is much thicker than any spider web I've ever seen, and it isn't on any other plant in my house, it is only affecting the ponytail palm! Do you have any idea what it is?

Answer: Beaucarnea recurvata or ponytail palm is sometimes bothered by scale insects and sometimes by mealy bugs and both can seem like a sticky white lint. You can try removing it with a damp cloth. If it recurs, try spraying with commercially formulated insecticidal soap per the label instructions. Another approach would be to use a horticultural oil spray, be sure to read and carefully follow all of the label instructions. Both are sold at garden centers.