The Q&A Archives: Lime Tree Losing Leaves

Question: Hi. I started to lose all the leaves on my lime tree. It happened in a matter of 1 week. Is there something I should know or do for this problem? I live in syracuse new york. I do not want to lose this tree so please help. Thank you.

Answer: Since you live in New York, I expect that your lime tree is indoors. If you recently brought it home, the leaf drop is most likely due to the stress of adjustment to its new home; if you've had it outdoors for the summer and recently brought it indoors, it can be stressful for a citrus tree to make the adjustment from being outdoors in full sunshine to being indoors in less intense light. Indoor air is often drier than outdoor air, and nighttime temperatures can be warmer than your tree experienced outdoors. I think your tree will adjust - give it bright, indirect sunshine; enough water to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet; keep it out of drafts; and mist it daily to compensate for dry indoor air. It should replace the lost foliage in a few weeks. Best wishes with your lime tree!