The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea shrubs

Question: I am President/Founder of The Blue Ridge Hydrangea Society, Inc. I would like to report to my members of any up-coming new hydrangea varieties that you will have in 2006 or varieties that you see in a few years to come. Please give their names and brief descriptions. I would appreciate this info asap.

I would also like to have a guest speaker from Monrovia to lecture on all your hydrangea varieties at one of our meetings. We have over 60 members. We are in the Hendersonville/Asheville, NC area. Thank you for your help.
Linda Shapiro

Answer: I can help you with the hydrangea varieties, but you'll need to make a local contact for a speaker for your group. Try one of the larger nurseries in your area - they generally have lists of speakers or can otherwise assist you.

Monrovia will be the exclusive grower for 2006 of:

Vaughn?s Lillie? Oakleaf Hydrangea
Hydrangea quercifolia ?Vaughn?s Lillie? PPAF
USDA Cold Zones 5 - 9 AHS Heat Zones 1 -9

Large and extraordinarily full heads of pearl-white flowers practically smother this handsome plant, which reaches four feet high and five feet wide. The flower cluster, larger than other quercifolias, emerges a soft, lime green, maturing to pearly white, and then aging to pink blush. Vaugh?s Lillie? offers year round color in the garden with attractive emerald green foliage that turns a burgandy-red in the fall. In the winter, it maintains interest with exfoliating amber-colored bark. This deciduous Hydrangea is highly resistant to blackspot. Full to partial sun. Vaughn?s Lillie was a chance seedling discovery in Rabun Gap in Northern Georgia, and Monrovia is the exclusive grower of this exciting new variety.