The Q&A Archives: Evergreen tree under Jacaranda

Question: I am looking for an EVERGREEN, tree to plant under a very large Jacaranda tree (it's lowest branch is 15' above the ground). The area gets filtered sunlight. I am trying to block an ugly view, so the tree needs to be evergreen. I am looking for something that only gets about 20' tall (or could be kept at that height)and is HORIZONTAL growing with an UMBRELLA shape. I am looking for something kind of LACY so it will let some light through - nothing too dense. I don't really want to plant a palm. Do you have some suggestions?

Answer: The site would be perfect for a Japanese maple, but these trees are deciduous. You might try Acacia kybeansis, an evergreen bush that will grow from 4'-6' wide, and into a small tree (about 20 feet tall without pruning). It has gray leaves, with spines on the branches and brilliant yellow flower balls in the spring. Or, you might consider Hinoki cypress. If neither of these appeals to you, why not plant an evergreen shrub such as camellia or pieris? Each will provide attractive seasonal flowers along with glossy green leaves.

Best wishes with your landscape!