The Q&A Archives: Onions, and Broccoli

Question: I planted onions and broccoli in late September -- we got our first freezing temps (at night, only -- and only a night or two, before it warms up to the 50's, and then back down, again, for another night or two)) in the last two weeks -- it hasn't been lower than 30, so far. I wrapped my larger containers (with other plants) in blankets those nights, with great results. Should I try and cover the onions and broccoli, too? I live in Kathleen, Georgia. Thank you!

Answer: Minta,

Onions and broccoli are both pretty hardy and can take a freeze without suffering damage. However when broccoli produces heads they are more susceptible to freeze injury. If temps drop down below about 28 or so and there are flower heads you should probably throw a cover over the broccoli.