The Q&A Archives: Late planting Camellia in NJ

Question: Just got a camellia delivered in large pot. Can I plant it outside today or bring in to house for the winter? If I could get it into the ground would Western exposure be ok? I bought it from someone who said it wasn't too late to plant but I have snow and doubts now.

Answer: Plant your camellia as soon as possible. As long as the ground isn't frozen, you should be able to plant it - just shovel the snow away, plant, then water it well. Camellia's don't make happy houseplants so don't take it indoors. An alternative, if you cannot plant it in its permanent spot immediately, you can sink the nursery pot into the ground for the winter and then plant it in the spring. Western exposure should be just fine for your plant. Enjoy!