The Q&A Archives: Buying/Pruning Scotch Pine

Question: I plan on buying 75-80 Scotch Pines for my yard. What sizes do you offer them in? Is this a large enough quantity that I could order directly from you?

Also, I want to keep them dense and do not want them to exceed 20-25' in height over the next 30 years. Can I use the candling technique successfully on this tree? If not, what other medium growing, dense, 20' pine or spruce would do well in northern Utah?

Answer: Monrovia is a wholesale nursery and doesn't sell directly to the public, but one of our retailers can certainly accommodate your order and may offer a discount. Scotch pines grow well in Utah and are one of the most popular landscape trees in your area. You can control the growth of a Scotch pine by snapping the candles off, or by shearing them annually.

Best wishes with your new trees!