The Q&A Archives: Winter Gem Boxwood discoloration

Question: I work at a large resort in Las Vegas, and currently we are planting a lot of Winter Gem Boxwood. We chose the Winter Gem, because we do not want the bronzing of the leaves during the winter. Some new Winter Gems we just received, but did not plant, have a some bronzing on the new foliage after a few days with night time temperatures in the low 30's (F). Is this common because they are newly delivered to a colder climate? The older foliage is a nice, deep green.

Answer: I don't have experience with that plant to explain why it is bronzing. It is indeed described as remaining green in winter, with a cold hardiness to 5 degrees F. If the casino bought wholesale from Monrovia, I suggest you contact your Monrovia sales representative directly. Or, if the plants came from a retailer, have the manager or buyer check with their Monrovia sales rep. Alternatively, you can contact Monrovia at 18331 E. Foothill Boulevard, PO Box 1385, Azusa, CA 91702-1385, 1-888-999-9321. I'm sorry that I couldn't provide a more specific answer.