The Q&A Archives: flowering cherry

Question: I wonder what is the difference between these two flowering cherry trees: Hally Jolivette and Mt. Fuji (Shirotae). Is the Hally shorter than the Shirotae? Hally is described as

Answer: For your purpose, I'd recommend Prunus x `Hally Jolivette`. It is the smaller of the two, with graceful, willowy stems bearing double, blush-white blossoms in early spring. It can be trained as a large shrub because it typically produces more than one single trunk; however, you can cut away the multiple trunks it produces to have a round headed single trunked tree.This tree grows 12 to 15 feet tall, 12 to 15 feet wide and can be maintained at 8-10 feet. Prunus serrulata `Mount Fuji` (P. s. 'Shirotae') will reach 20 feet tall and 25 feet wide so it will need much more maintenance to keep it small.