The Q&A Archives: how to care for a palm fern

Question: I have a plant with medium length stems and the ends look like a fern and a palm tree. Its dying and I need to know how to take care of it.

Answer: Cyathea cooperi or Australian Tree Fern is also called fern palm. If this is the plant you're growing, provide high humidity and bright light, but not direct sun. Place the plant on a shallow tray with pebbles and 1/2 inch of water. As the water evaporates, it will increase humidity around the plant. Don't let the water soak up into the roots, however. Keep away from drafts, air conditioning ducts, etc. When watering, flush the water through the holes at the bottom of the pot to reduce salt build-up, which can cause brown tips. Fertilize with an all-purpose houseplant fertilizer according to package instructions. Good luck!