The Q&A Archives: OPEN for anyone to answer/Drooping branches on trees

Question: I have 1 young Marshall ash and 3 young Autumn Blaze Maples
(both species do well in this area). These trees are healthy.
However, these have lower branches that droop downward, then back up. The Ash is about 25'tall, 3

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what is happening with your trees. Sometimes lower branches will grow downward and then outward in search of light and will eventually form a more rounded outline of tree. Early pruning and especially training at the grower's can also influence the overall form of a tree. I would suggest you consult on site with a professionally trained and certified arborist. They should be able to evaluate the shape and structure of each tree and tell you if what you are seeing is normal and what the long term consequence might be. If pruning or training is needed for the long term strength and structure of the tree, or for aesthetic purposes, they should be able to do that as well. And, they should be able to help you determine if your watering and fertilization program are adequate or need any adjustment. Enjoy your trees!