The Q&A Archives: Orange Cape Honeysuckle - Care

Question: I live in Zone 5-6. I was advised to over-winter the plant indoors since our temperatures sometimes dip below 20 degrees and we have strong winds. The plant was very healthy outdoors, it grew to over 5.5 feet this season and bloomed profusely in late summer and early fall. is now losing all it's leaves despite getting good light, watering once a week, and generally temps from 68 to 70 degrees. I had to prune the plant when I brought it indoors but there seems to be some new growth at the base of the central stem. Should I prune the branches back to the main stem, to the ground, or what? It is in a large container so it shouldn't be root bound.

I'll like to keep the plant healthy and alive until it can be moved back outside in the spring. Please help!

Thanks - Phyllis Rabin

Answer: I think your plant is showing some signs of stress from the move. Indoor light levels, humidity and temperatures are different than those the plant was used to outdoors so it will need to adjust. Dropping leaves is a normal part of this adjustment period and as soon as it stablizes it should produce some healthy new leaves. New growth at the base of the plant is a good sign; these new stems will eventually fill in to disguise the lost stems and foliage. You can prune back the dead or dying stems so the plant can concentrate its energy on developing healthy new growth. Best wishes with your plant!