The Q&A Archives: Problem with Boxwood Green Towers

Question: I purchased 12 Boxwood Green Towers in June. Two of them started getting orange tinted leaves around August-September. The leaves then started getting a dry texture. In November, when they did not acquire new growth like the others did I pulled them out and replaced them with two others. All appeared to be doing fine (new growth), until last week. Now three appear to have orange tinted leaves and I am afraid they will die like the other two. They get adequate water and currently receive afternoon sun. They are planted along my property line about 2 feet from a Brick property divider.

Answer: All evergreens eventually lose their oldest leaves, which are usually replaced in a short time with healthy new leaves. It's normal for boxwoods to undergo some leaf drop and turning orange is the first step in this process. Cold nights typically trigger the color change (similar to tree leaves), and usually only the oldest leaves are affected. These leaves drop during the fall or winter (but sometimes hang on until spring). New growth then appears.

You can brush or hose these leaves from the shrubs if you find them unsightly, or you can prune them off. New growth should be a healthy green.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem!