The Q&A Archives: Is Viburnum suspensum known to be deer resistant?

Question: Is viburnum suspensum deer resistant? Is it an appropriate shrub to be planted en masse behind a row of crepe myrtle trees, to be used as an evergreen hedge against homeowners' fences? Thank you so much for your timely reply! Homeowner's association is preparing to plant many of these in an unprotected area frequented by deer. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Answer: It's been my experience that a hungry deer will eat most any plant, so there really isn't any deer proof plant. They tend to avoid native plants and go for more delicate offerings - usually the most expensive plants in the garden! Viburnums are not especially attractive to deer, but again, a hungry deer will eat most anything. I'd go ahead with the viburnum plantings. They will be less attractive to deer than most other plants.