The Q&A Archives: Watering Containerized Plants

Question: Hope you will have a great Holiday Season

My question has to do with watering plants in pots, some are inside the house, others outside closer to the house, some get rain and others don't.
How often do I water during winter?
How do you protect them from freezing?

Live 1 hour north of Seattle.

Thanks for your help

Sole Switzer

Answer: There is no simple answer to your question. Plants outdoors will not grow as actively during the winter months so their water needs are less than they would be in summer. But, they still need water. Natural rainfall is probably enough for those that get it; a thorough soaking once every 3-4 weeks should be enough for the others. Check the soil moisture content once each week and water if the top inch or two of soil is dry. You'll want to carefully monitor your outdoor plants in pots - since the roots are above ground they will be susceptible to freezing. You may want to sink the pots into the ground for the winter so the pots and roots will be insulated from excessive cold.

Indoor plants will need to be watered whenever the top inch or two of soil is dry. Their rate of growth will be faster than plants outdoors, but slower than their spring or summer growth rate.

Best wishes with your containerized garden!