The Q&A Archives: what trees to plant around pools?

Question: I'm looking for a dense evergreen that grows more upright to plant around my pool area to provide privacy, what would you recommend?

Answer: You might look at the upright junipers or, if the area is somewhat sheltered from the wind, possibly the blue (Merveae) hollies which will tolerate being clipped and can be grown as a hedge. It is difficult to make specific suggestions long distance, however. What to use will depend on how much sun and wind the planting site receives, as well as the soil type and how much space there is for the plants to grow in both height and width. Sometimes in a very narrow area it is better to erect a decorative wooden fence and soften the look of it with a vine. Your local professional nrsery staff should be able to help you analyze the growing conditions in the area you want to plant and make appropriate suggestions. Enjoy your pool!