The Q&A Archives: Evergreen for entrance

Question: I'm looking for an interesting evergreen that I could place in a 3 x 3 space at the entry to my new home. The home is a tuscan brick design. I was thinking something pyramidal would be nice. Any suggestions?

Answer: There are a number of plants you could use but the choice will depend on the sun and wind exposure and on the soil conditions, as well as the height you need. You might be able to use a boxwood, a yew, or one of the blue hollies (Ilex meserveae) depending on the growing conditions. You might want to consult with your local professional nursery staff and/or county extension and see what they would suggest based on a more detailed understanding of the planting site and your design goals. Good luck with your planting!