The Q&A Archives: ferns

Question: I have recently puchased a miniture fern - blechnum nudam. Ihave never owned a fern before and I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong. It has recently started developing black tips on it's leaves and seems to be getting worse. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Answer: I suspect your fern isn't getting the humidity it needs. Most ferns like high humidity levels. If it's practical, try hanging it in a bright spot in your bathroom--it will enjoy the steam from the shower!

Ferns need medium to high light, but not too much direct sun. A north-facing window usually suffices. Keep the soil evenly moist--if it is in a bright and/or warm spot, it may need more frequent watering. Check the soil every few days, and water as necessary to keep the soil evenly moist, but not saturated. Make sure it is growing in a well-drained soil--a good mix will have some perlite and/or vermiculite to help lighten the soil and improve drainage.

Best wishes with your new fern!