The Q&A Archives: my male hollies keep dying out

Question: i have been having terrible luck w/male hollies. the females do fine but the males keep turning brown in color w/dark spots and some leaves on it look like someone took a lighter end half burned them please help me!!!!

Answer: I'm sorry you are having trouble with these, if the females are doing fine then there must be something unusual happening. Hollies are potentially subject to a number of different foliage problems. Sometimes it is related to the planting site such as being in an especially windy or dry spot, sometimes it is a pest or disease problem. I would suggest you take some foliage samples and/or photos of both the overall plant and closeups of the affected leaves and see if your county extension and/or professional nursery staff can diagnose the problem for you. Based on knowing that, you can determine how to proceed.