The Q&A Archives: palm tree

Question: My daughter loves palm trees and I would like to place one on the patio of my new condo. What type of palm tree would you recommend? What would you recommend for when to place it outside and when to return it inside? Thank you.

Answer: Moving a plant from inside to outside is usually best done when the temperatures are fairly similar, this minimizes the shock to the plant. As a rule of thumb, 50 to 55 degrees is a safe minimum temperature for tropicals. You would also need to gradually acclimate the plant over a period of several weeks so it can adjust to the change in lighting. (Outdoor light is stronger than light filtered through a window.)

As far as which palm to grow, you do have choices depending on the amount of light and amount of space you have to keep it indoors, and how humid your indoor location can be kept. Indoor conditions are generally not suitable for palms as during the winter -- our indoor heated air tends to be extremely dry and the palms need more humidity.

However, the following article includes numerous suggestions you may find interesting. You may need to cut and paste the complete url into your browser to make it work correctly.

Another possibility might be to purchase an inexpensive potted palm each spring and treat it as an annual, in that you would discard it after frost in the fall.

Enjoy your palm!