The Q&A Archives: red spider mite infestation aleppo pine

Question: I have 2 50+ year old aleppo pines that are infested with red spider mites. What and how can I treat them?

Answer: Spider mites are easier to discourage than they are to control. These pests like dry, dusty conditions so simply hosing your trees off twice a week during the summer should keep them at bay. They can spread to other nearby plants so hose those off periodically as well. The simplest approach to control is spray the foliage thoroughly with a garden hose or spray bottle. Dusting sulfur can be applied when the temperature does not go over 90 F (hose the sulfur off after a day or so). Special sprays (miticides) can also be purchased, but hose washing or sulfuring the foliage is simpler and quite effective.