The Q&A Archives: How to take care of Jacaranda?

Question: My name is Sharon Hsi and I am currently residing in Taiwan. I spent most of my childhood in South Africa and have really fallen in love with Jacaranda. I am planning on planting a Jacaranda tree in my garden (or hopefully my greenhouse); therefore, I am just wondering if you could kindly give me some info on how to take care of Jacaranda trees or recommend good books on taking care of Jacaranda. I would highly appreciate your help if you could help me relive my childhood in Taiwan!

Sharon Hsi

Answer: Jacaranda acutifolia is the lavender-blue flowering cultivar, growing 25'-40' tall and 15'-30' wide. It has an open, multitrunked or shrubby habit, and finely cut, fernlike leaves. It's a hardy plant, to 25F degrees, so should grow well in your area. Jacaranda is truly a spectacular tree. Plant it in full sunshine and supply one-inch of water per week to help it become established. Once established it won't require much water - just a thorough soaking once or twice during the hottest summer months.

I'm not aware of any books published specifically on the Jacaranda tree, but here's the website address of a Jacaranda Research Group. It contains a link to publications:

Best wishes with your tree!