The Q&A Archives: I need to find a deciduous tree that will block the sun in summer and let it through in winter.

Question: The south east corner of my property gets the lion share of summer heat 100 - 119 for up to 3 months, during the height of the day. I need to find a desiduous tree that will reach at least 30' (hopefully more) to keep the house cool for the start of the day. A 60' diameter canopy would be good. It needs to drop it's leaves because the winter can drop to 19 degrees a few years back. we can have weeks of below or near freezing temperatures each winter. It can be more than one tree. I was thinking of a Laurel.....but it does not drop its leaves. I have a Mesquite.....but it's live cycle is on the down slope and I need to plant a replacement for it as I begin to trim it down. Hope you can help.

Answer: Here are deciduous trees recommended by the Arizona Municipal Water Users. They are all desert-adapted, water thrifty trees. The numbers represent typical height by width.

Desert willow (not a true willow) (Chilopsis linearis) 25 x 20
Silk floss tree (Chorisia sp.) 30 x 25
Chinese pistache (Pistacia chinensis) 40 x 35
Texas honey mesquite (Prosopis glandulosa) 30 x 30
Velvet mesquite (P. velutina) 25 x 25
Canyon hackberry (Celtis reticulata) 25 x 25
Mexican ebony (Pithecellobium mexicanum) 30 x 20

Also palo verdes are classified as semi-evergreen, meaning some leaves will drop if it becomes sufficiently cold. Hope this info helps.