The Q&A Archives: vine

Question: I am looking to have a series of vines run up a metal railing that is about 3 feet high and 20 feet long. Under the railing I can place potters for the vines because there is no earth closeby. What do you reccomend? It gets light sun in the afternoon to shade the rest of the time. I dont want them to die in the Atlanta, zone 8, winter. Something evergreen and something that could flower would be great. Also semi fast growing would be nice. Thanks!

Answer: Shane,

A good choice would be trumpet (or coral) honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens 'Magnifica'). It is semievergreen and will grow in that location. Choose as large of a container as is practical so as not to stress the plants. The following web site has a photo and more info: