The Q&A Archives: Shrub Recommendation

Question: I am planning to redue the planting bed in front of my house. I will keep the mature camellia bushes intact. One on each side of the stairs. I plan to replace all the azaleas with twice blooming azaleas. I now need recommendation on which shrubs would be complimentary to the azaleas. I would like that the shrubs retain their green color year round and grow only @ 2' tall. The azaleas I plan to use will only grow @ 3' tall. My next question is how should I arrange my new plantings?

Answer: Demosthenes,

I think dwarf yaupon would be a good choice. The following web site has more information on a variety Monrovia carries:

Another option is dwarf nandina (heavenly bamboo). Here is one of Monrovia's varieties:

One more choice would be the dwarf gardenia 'White Gem'. Here's Monrovia's web page on that plant: