The Q&A Archives: Prariefire Crabapple & Fireblight

Question: I think the prariefire crabapple would be a very attractive specimen for my front lawn in Parker, Colorado. I have done some research into it however and have found quite a bit of conflicting statements on its degree of succeptibility to fireblight. PLEASE - help me out. Some websites say its very resistant to it, others say it is extremely succeptible to it. Should I look into another species of crabapple or is fireblight a non issue with the prariefire?? I really appreciate any help or advice you could provide me.

Answer: I understand your concern. According to Clemson University, 'Prariefire? is resistant to fire blight. However, according to Colorado State University, 'Prariefire' is extremely susceptible to the disease. Since you reside in Colorado, where research shows susceptibility to the disease, I'd choose another cultivar, just to be on the safe side. Here's a list from the Colorado Cooperative Extension office of resistant crabapples:
Indian Summer
Red Vein Russian
White Cascade

For more information on fire blight, visit the university's website: