The Q&A Archives: planting terraces

Question: I have just finished my back yard and I need help on what I can do. I have a good idea on what plants I want I just need to know if I can plant an orange tree,tangerine tree and white peach tree on the second of 5 terraces. I can send a picture if you would like. The terraces are about 4 feet wide and 30 feet long or less. Please let me know. Thank you Ann

Answer: Citrus trees grow well in your gardening region and there should be adequate room for the roots as the trees mature. You'll want to encourage deep root growth by watering your citrus trees deeply but infrequently once they're established. For the first year or two, until the roots become established, you'll want to water deeply once or twice each week (depending upon weather). Enjoy your new landscape!