The Q&A Archives: When should I plant my bulbs?

Question: I live in the 95111 postal zone, and was wondering when it would be the best time to start planting my bulbs. I have peonies, gladiolus, iris, tuberose, freesias, dalrias,ixia and star gazers? It is my first time doing this and I just want to make sure they grow and that I don't kill them before they get a chance to grow Thank you.

Answer: Now is a good time to get your bulbs in the ground. In general terms, you'll want to plant early spring blooming bulbs in the fall, summer bloomers in the spring, and fall bloomers in early summer. All the plants you mention are summer bloomers and should go into the ground by early spring. Since your gardening region barely experiences a winter, you can plant your bulbs now. Enjoy!