The Q&A Archives: Is there a grass killer available that won't kill the ivy too?

Question: There is grass growing in the parkstrip where ivy is growing. When some of the ivy died off, grass started growing. Although I've tried weeding the area, the grass just keeps growing back. I want to get rid of the grass. What can I do?

Answer: As the ivy fills in it should be able to outcompete the weeds. You might spread a layer of dampened newspaper on the soil between the plants and cover that with an organic mulch layer several inches thick. This should prevent new weeds from sprouting and should smother existing weeds. If some pop their way through that, apply an herbicide containing glyphosate to control them, being careful to protect the ivy from any spray drift. A wipe-on application method may be easier to control where you're actually putting the herbicide. Follow the label instructions carefully and allow ample time for the chemical to translocate to the roots of the weeds. Finally, make sure you don't let any of the weeds go to seed -- that's one of the biggest steps in getting a weed population under control.