The Q&A Archives: suggest a conifer

Question: I'm looking for a columnar conifer tree for zone 7 (dallas). On the top of a retaining wall (good drainage), a bit windy, light colored clay, slightly acid soil. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: Joan,

There are many such trees in shades of green, blue/gray and white foliage. They come in many sizes too. Since you have so many options I suggest you try a search at the following web site which will allow you to search for Monrovia plants by name, by category (select "conifers") and zone (select "8" to get plants that are a little more heat tolerant but check the heat zone on any you are interested in pursuing).

When a list of options is returned via the search, you can click on a plant to learn more about it and in many cases to see a photo too.