The Q&A Archives: The Emerald Spreader Yew in your pictures looks different than the ones at my local nursery. Bushie

Question: the emerald spreader in the pictures on your website, look fuzzier, denser than the one s at my local nursery. More traditional conifer kkind of look. Why is that?

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what you are seeing, however in early spring the yews put out new growth that can seem like it has a different texture and brighter color. Also, they may have put out new growth that seems a bit more outstretched rather than dense because they are immature. Or, they may have been grown in a different amount of sunlight, they will be densest when grown in full sun. I would suggest you check with your local professionally trained nurseryman and ask them to show you these types of differences. If the botanical name on the label matches -- Taxus cuspidata 'Monloo' Plant Patent No. 10335 -- and the plant is well cared for as it matures, it should look the same eventually. These plants are propagated by cutting to assure uniformity. I hope this helps.