The Q&A Archives: Grape Trellis Design

Question: I am about to plant hybrid Shiraz grape vines. Where can I find plans for inexpensive but durable trellisses?

Answer: In my experience the least expensive trellis for grapes is heavy posts with wire strung between them. Since grape vines live for decades, and become heavy when loaded with fruit and foliage, the sturdier the posts the better. In other words, this is not a place to skimp. The following articles about grapes show diagrams or photos or instructions for training them onto trellis that you may find useful, along with some general grape-growing information.

Syrah or Shiraz grapes are grown extensively in Australia and, in this country, in California, and are known for being grown in the Rhone Valley of France. All of those climates are far warmer in winter than Massachusetts, so I doubt you will be able to grow this variety successfully in your cold winter climate. Your zip code places you in USDA winter hardiness zone 6A, which depending on your microclimate could actually be as cold as zone 5. For this reason I would strongly suggest you consider trying something with better winter hardiness, something rated hardy into zone 5. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.