The Q&A Archives: Staghorn Sumac habits

Question: I am considering planting a staghorn sumac in a planter made from galvanized culvert - it will be approx 30 inches high and have a diameter of about 66 inches. The exposure is south without shade. Is this a suitable tree for this arrangement. If not, can you recommend one? I am looking for something with year-round interest that can be managed to size with regualr pruning. It will be the focal point of a bed in front of a commercial business. Any input you can provide will be appreciated. Thanks, Camille.

Answer: Staghorn Sumac would make an ideal specimen plant. It provides interest year around and is adaptable to many soil types. The container you describe should suit the root system well. I think your idea is a wonderful one!