The Q&A Archives: IS Oleander will ruin your foundation house?

Question: I have 5 Oleanders ( 2 dwarf-about 2-4ft; 3 about 5-8ft)planted along the wall (about 1-2 ft far from foundation)less a year. I read a Q&A on website about Oleander, majority people said it will damage your foundation or sew because the root is growing very fast. I asked the people work at nursery in Austin-TX and they should not worry about that because it talls only 8ft. If a tree is tall more then 10ft, the root will be effected the house when plant close to it. What is your opinion and suggest? Please let me now because I love oleander. Thank you very much. Tammy

Answer: Tammy,

Your local nursery workers are correct. I doubt that the oleander will harm your foundation as it forms more of a clump of stems than a large trunk and large surface roots like a tree does. However I can't think of a reason to plant it 1-2 feet from the foundation. As it grows it will become wider making it really tight up against the home. That plant needs light and should probably be about 4 feet or more from the home at a minimum.