The Q&A Archives: Camillia Sinensis

Question: I have 4 1-gal Camellia Sinensis (green tea) plants. For best possible results, is ground planting recommended or can I yield the same quality with pot planting? I like the pot planting because of the versatility that I have with movement. If I go with pots, will good quality green or black tea be impossible? OKAY, once I decide between ground or pot planting, what is the best sun/shade conditions for my 4 Camellia Sinensis green tea plants? Thanks !

Answer: Nicknamed the tea plant, Camellia sinensis is a slow grower, with a rounded and informal appearance. You can prune to keep it small, but unpruned it grows 6-12 feet tall and 5-7 feet wide. It features glossy green leaves and fragrant cream-white flowers in the fall. The plant likes part shade or full shade. Camellia sinensis likes well-drained and sandy soil that is on the acidic side. It will grow either in the ground or in a container. If you are going to grow your tea in a container, add some sphagnum moss to the potting mix. You'll need some patience, too. Your plant should be around 3 years old before you start harvesting leaves.