The Q&A Archives: michelia figo

Question: I wanted to plant a Michelia (zone 24, near Beverly Hills, CA) in front of my house (eastern exposure, morning sun). From your site it seemed that the Michelia figo allspice is a lovely tree, with the longest bloom of the michelias. Is this correct? I saw (and smelled) one (another species) at the Arboretum and it was wonderful. Would you recommend this tree for this use or a different variety?

Answer: Michelia doltsopa x figo' 'Allspice' is indeed one of the most fragrant of all! Also called the Banana Shrub, this dense, upright, evergreen shrub eventually develops a canopy and attains a height of 10-15' when grown in full sun (will remain smaller in only partially sunny exposures).

The fragrant, light yellow flowers are edged in maroon and are magnolia-like in appearance. They last from early spring until early summer.

I'd plant one! Enjoy!