The Q&A Archives: Plants for around a duck pond.

Question: I am in the Florida panhandle with hot summers and just above freezing winters. I need to find plants that I can put around the edge of a pond with alot of water fowl. The area gets lots of sun and has more than enough water. Would like some color and possible different types so that I can have color in several different seasons. The plants can not hurt any of the birds and wild life for this pond is part of an aquarium. Thank you.

Answer: Jeffrey,

That is a difficult question with the issue of bird health thrown in. I am not aware of plants affect on birds and suspect that it is not a problem having not heard of such a thing being an issue before.

Plants for a wet area often can get aggressive in their tendency to spread. Some to consider include Louisiana iris, canna, and yellow bells (Tecoma stans). In order to provide you with more information than we can fit in this brief answer, let me refer you to the following web site, which should be very informative and useful to you.

North Florida Landscape Plants for Wet Areas

Flowering Perennials for Florida