The Q&A Archives: Flowers, Shrubs for shady site

Question: My house in facing East, so is like East to West, the front and back are easy to plan, but the sidewalk is kind of hard to design, because the house blocks the sun, and is kind of narrrow, like 3-6 feet wide. Can I plant vegetables and herbs, like potato, onion, pepper or cabbage? What flowers, shrubs, or climbing vines can I put on the fence?

Answer: Vegetables won't thrive in a shady area except those that do not flower. You can plant lettuce or cabbage in the site, and radishes will grow there, too. Or, you can concentrate on shade loving annuals and perennials such as pansies, lobelia, impatiens. The site might be too small for shrubs, but how about planting hosta, coral bells, astilbe and ferns in the area?