The Q&A Archives: Tiny Tower Cypress Sudden Death

Question: I bought a lovely Tiny Tower Italian Cypress (from Monrovia), approximately six feet in height, tender, nice blue cast, spiral shaping. Planted it in full sun, protected from harsh winds, in well-draining soil. Within two weeks, it was dead. I inspected for spider mites...none. What happened???? (I have never lost anything I have planted. But, must admit that I am not very knowledgeable about the Italian Cypress.) I want to try it again, but need some advice before spending that kind of money$$$!!! (I had planted it near my lovely eucalyptus tree...for excellent contrast in color, texture and growth habit. They made a beautiful sight for a few days!)

Thank you for any assistance you can offer. The nursery where I purchase it offered none! The instant I noticed the browning, I called the nursery, several times, but never got a call-back.

Cindy Keese

Answer: Cindy,

Sorry to hear about your plant and experience with the retail garden center. If your plant looked good and died that fast something went wrong in the roots. Root damage in planting, drying out of the root system, and soggy conditions in the planting hole for a period of time are among the more likely possible causes. To minimize planting stress avoid both dry and soggy conditions and do your planting from fall to early spring when stresses are at a minimum on the plant. Summer planting is especially tricky.