The Q&A Archives: Snake Plant/Mother in Law Tongue

Question: Why do the leaves on snake plants turn white? I recently took my snake plant (its fairly large) outside and accidently left it out and that's when the leaves started turning white. Please help. Can it be brought back to health and if so, how?

Answer: While Mother in Law's Tongue can grow well under many different circumstances, a plant that was used to being indoors where the light was diffused and then was left outside in direct sunshine is likely to suffer from sun scald. The white areas on the leaves indicate sun scald. The tissues are dead and eventually the entire leaf will die. This will be a slow process, though, and you can hope your plant puts out lots of new leaves to disguise those that are affected. Wish I had better news for you!