The Q&A Archives: Black Tulip Magnolia in south central Texas?

Question: I have read that Magnolia soulangiana can be planted in the shade in Texas. I would like to grow Magnolia x soulangiana 'Jurmag1' in Zone 8b in a yard with partial shade from mature pecan trees, an ash, and a variety of other neighborhood trees. The culture description makes me wonder if it would be well-suited to this property. Is this tree a good choice for us? The soil zone is Blackland Prairie. If I can grow this tree, what would you recommend for it's exposure/culture?

Answer: Jennifer,

If the soil is well drained you can probably grow it. I suggest buying a compressed bag of peat moss and mixing it into a 10-15 ft. diameter circular area before digging the hole to plant the magnolia. If you can give it more sun (a little late day shade is fine) it should be okay. The first 2-3 years will be the critical time period for the plant as to whether or not it will establish and survive.