The Q&A Archives: mild winter reseeding of lawn

Question: we are experiencing a very mild winter , wondering if it is ok to get an early start and reseed my existing lawn in february if the ground is not frozen? or if it gets below freezing for an extended period after doing so will harm the new seed?

Answer: I know the occasional January or February thaw is tempting, but it would be better to wait a little longer because although a little freezing alone will not hurt the seed, the cold soil temperature will delay germination and the seed may rot. You want to do it when the weather has settled enough that temperatures are consistently above 40 degrees. That way the grass will actually kick into sustained active growth as soon as it germinates. If it seems like an early spring over the coming weeks, you could check with your local county extension and see if they think it is time to seed it yet. Good luck with your lawn this summer!