The Q&A Archives: A Dwarf Purple Fringe/Lorapetalum?

Question: I'm looking for a dwarf variety of lorapetalum, or something purplish for a foundation plant. It would be away from the house, in front of some Otto Luyken laurels, and I'm looking for a suggestion of either another plant, a cultivar you'd recommend, or something that could be trimmed back every year but not damaged by doing so?

Answer: Loropetalum chinense rubrum 'Ruby' is a compact evergreen shrub with deep burgundy young foliage color that turns dark green as plant matures. Pink strap-like flowers cover the arching branches in spring. I found it in only one place in your vicinity:
Nurseries Caroliniana - A southern nursery growing select and unique woodies, perennials, vines and natives. 20 Stephens Estate, North Augusta, South Carolina 29860. Tel: 803-278-2336, Fax: 803-278-5574